Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Heart Third Quarter!

We just finished up our first round of midterms... and what a relief this quarter has been! I still feel like I'm studying all the time,  but at least the information is so much more interesting (for the most part).  I swear I went crossed on Thursday after all of my tests where over, my brain was Fried! ... of course it didn't help that I tried to get a jump start on the next round...

I am learning to read x-rays, which is extremely cool! Dr. Paul gave me my old x-rays  which are totally awesome to see and practice drawing on! We have the best instructor by far for this course, I hope to encounter her or those like her again and again! She is so  passionate about the profession and really cares about who we are and our vision for the future of chiropractic. EXTREMELY refreshing!

Other than that, life is pretty uneventful... that's what happens when you spend 85% of your time in class or at a coffee shop. Speaking of coffee shops, one of my favorite nearby spots to study is closing (gasp it's a Starbucks)...and for those of you know who know my passion for coffee houses know this is usually a place I go out of desperation, not common place! I am deeply saddened, almost to the point of protesting the corporation. Starbucks originally set ou to represent your third place (home, work, third place) and should be somewhere you visit to not only to get a cup of coffee, but to have a good chat with a friend, to read a nice book, to STUDY, or to play a game of chess with a pal. This particular coffee shop represents all of those! and they arer closing what has become one of my favorite third place's!

DSCN1285 by javajoba.

I began studying there upon the recommendation of a friend who had worked there. I was a doubter at first, but fell in love upon my first visit! It is no ordinary Starbucks, it is the Vinings Starbucks, which reminds me of Capitola, a place near home. It is was built into what seems to be a renovated old home. It has a large patio with trees and tables surrounded by a white picket fence. It has countertop tables, comfy couches, and a train that passes by while you sit out on the front porch. I know, I couldn't believe it myself! The people that frequent it and work there are the BEST! One day I locked my keys out of my car and a Regular offered to call AAA for me! What upsets me most is that they are opening a drive-thru less than a mile away !!! and closing this one because it cannot be converted into a drive-thru despite the fact that it is ALWAYS busy and full of energy, life and such vigor!

Here is the customer service website if you feel as passionate about this closing as I do!
www.starbucks.com/customer

This is why I think drive-thru's are ruining America! Slow down and enjoy your coffee, America!

I am going to miss this study  spot and must now waste gas to travel 14 miles on Sunday's to my favorite far away study locale:(


3 comments:

Katie Fries said...

What a bummer about the Starbucks. I lost my favorite Caribou Coffee (closest to my house and had toys for the kids to play with) back in IL to the same lack of drive-thru. It sucked.

You're right; it does remind me of something you'd see on the Central Coast, with its combination of quirky and quaint. Maybe somebody will come in and open an indie coffee shop. You can hope, right?

Glad school is going so well!

Carolyn said...

I burst out laughing when I read that you'd locked your keys in your car at Starbucks. Why does that sound so familiar??? Glad to see you haven't changed! :)

Miss you!

BEERY said...

All-Balls!
I just found your blog after reading a comment you left ages ago on mine. Sounds like you are really enjoying your classes and teachers! To bad about Starbucks, it's nice to find that home away from home. If it's anything like Fresno, they'll be building another Starbucks across the street so keep your eyes peeled! Ha, anyway hope all is well and I keep checking up on you.
Sweet As,

Chris Beery